Below is a brief summary of yesterday’s FOMC statement.
- In their final meeting of 2020, the FOMC voted to keep the Fed Funds target rate unchanged within the 0.00% to 0.25% range.
- This outcome was widely expected, and all committee members voted in favor of the action.
- The forward guidance on monetary policy indicated continued support for maintaining the current target range through 2023.
- Today’s statement reiterated the Committee’s commitment to the average inflation-targeting approach that was announced in August and September.
- The language remained unchanged, as the statement again noted the Fed will “aim to achieve inflation moderately above 2 percent for some time…”
- The forward guidance for inflation showed a slight increase from September’s estimate, with a median estimate of 1.8% for PCE inflation and 1.8% for Core PCE inflation in 2021.
- While there were no changes to the level of asset purchases, the forward guidance language removed the phrase “…in the coming months” and noted that asset purchases of $80 billion in Treasuries and $40 billion in agency MBS per month would continue “until substantial further progress has been made towards the Committee’s maximum employment and price stability goals.”
- When asked about increasing the duration of asset purchases in the Q&A following the meeting, Chairman Powell noted that while that was considered, they did not feel that it was necessary at this time.
- The Fed’s economic outlook has improved since September. Although in the press conference following the meeting, Powell noted that while longer run forecasts have improved, the coming months will be challenging and likely be reflected in 1Q21 results.
- The median 2020 estimate of change in real GDP improved from September’s estimate of -3.7% to -2.4% in December, and the median 2020 estimated unemployment rate improved from September’s estimate of 7.6% to 6.7% in December.
The FOMC is next scheduled to meet January 26 – 27, 2021.
The views expressed herein are those of Asset Consulting Group (ACG). They are subject to change at any time. These views do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any other firm. This report was prepared by ACG for you at your request. Although the information presented herein has been obtained from and is based upon sources ACG believes to be reliable, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to the accuracy or completeness of that information. Accordingly, ACG does not itself endorse or guarantee, and does not itself assume liability whatsoever for, the accuracy or reliability of any third-party data or the financial information contained herein.
Certain information herein constitutes forward-looking statements, which can be identified by the use of terms such as “may”, “will”, “expect”, “anticipate”, “project”, “estimate”, or any variations thereof. As a result of various uncertainties and actual events, including those discussed herein, actual results or performance of a particular investment strategy may differ materially from those reflected or contemplated in such forward-looking statements. As a result, you should not rely on such forward-looking statements in making investment decisions. ACG has no duty to update or amend such forward-looking statements.
The information presented herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to purchase a security. Please be aware that there are inherent limitations to all financial models, including Monte Carlo Simulations. Monte Carlo Simulations are a tool used to analyze a range of possible outcomes and assist in making educated asset allocation decisions. Monte Carlo Simulations cannot predict the future or eliminate investment risk. The output of the Monte Carlo Simulation is based on ACG’s capital market assumptions that are derived from proprietary models based upon well-recognized financial principles and reasonable estimates about relevant future market conditions. Capital market assumptions based on other models or different estimates may yield different results. ACG expressly disclaims any responsibility for (i) the accuracy of the simulated probability distributions or the assumptions used in deriving the probability distributions, (ii) any errors or omissions in computing or disseminating the probability distributions and (iii) and any reliance on or uses to which the probability distributions are put.
The projections or other information generated by ACG regarding the likelihood of various investment outcomes are hypothetical in nature, do not reflect actual investment results and are not guarantees of future results. Judgments and approximations are a necessary and integral part of constructing projected returns. Any estimate of what could have been an investment strategy’s performance is likely to differ from what the strategy would actually have yielded had it been in existence during the relevant period. The source and use of data and the arithmetic operations used for calculating projected returns may be incorrect, inappropriate, flawed or otherwise deficient.
Past performance is not indicative of future results. Given the inherent volatility of the securities markets, you should not assume that your investments will experience returns comparable to those shown in the analysis contained in this report. For example, market and economic conditions may change in the future producing materially different results than those shown included in the analysis contained in this report. Any comparison to an index is for comparative purposes only. An investment cannot be made directly into an index. Indices are unmanaged and do not reflect the deduction of advisory fees.
This report is distributed with the understanding that it is not rendering accounting, legal or tax advice. Please consult your legal or tax advisor concerning such matters. No assurance can be given that the investment objectives described herein will be achieved and investment results may vary substantially on a quarterly, annual or other periodic basis. There is no representation or warranty as to the current accuracy of, nor liability for, decisions based on such information.